If you’ve lost your job, you may be most worried about money. How will you pay your bills? What if you can’t find another job? What if you’ve got debts to pay?
When we’re stressed, it can be difficult to manage our money. So if you can, try to follow these tips before things get on top of you:
- Check if you can claim any benefits or get an increase on your current benefits.
- If you have children, check if you can get free school meals.
- Check if you can get help with your living costs from your local council.
- Check if you can get less council tax.
- Check if you can get help with your bills.
- Take control of your finances by setting up a budget planner. The Money Advice Service provide a free planner you can use.
- Get advice about paying your debts. There are lots of free debt advice services you can use.
- Don’t ignore bills and letters – the longer you leave them, the more difficult it will be. Open them and plan how to deal with them straight away.